Narcoossee's

Grand Floridian Hotel, MK Monorail Loop

January 2015
Overall Rating: 6.2 
Ambiance: 8
Food: 4
Service: 10


Situated on a boathouse over the water on Seven Seas Lagoon, Narcoossee's is an up-scale seafood restaurant locate at the Grand Floridian Hotel.


Ambiance/Theming: 8

Narcoosee's (pronounced nahr-KOO-sees) is located at the far east end of the Grand Floridian property, right on the water.   It is a boat-house style building matching the victorian architecture of the hotel.  To get to the restaurant, you must walk through the grounds of the hotel which is very relaxing and picturesque.   

The inside is done in a light-wood, nautical style.   Although there is no overt theming, the decor and atmosphere made me feel like I was on the Pacific north-western ocean front.   The restaurant is charming, but not pretentious.

There is a business casual dress code, so don't plan on dining here in t-shirts and flip-flops.   This adds to the general elevated dining experience.

Food:  4  

I must disclose that I do not generally like seafood, so that must be taken into consideration as I review this food.

Appetizer: For the appetizer, I had the Lobster Bisque.   For those of you who watch Studio C on byuTV or see it on YouTube, you will know exactly why I chose this dish.   It was so very rich, creamy and delectable.   I would say I was left wanting more, but it was so rich that I hit my limit prior to finishing my bowl.  But, it was a great way to start off the meal.

Entree: Again, I do not like seafood, so I kept my choice safe by going with the Maine lobster.   I was extremely disappointed.   The lobster tail was so rubbery that I couldn't get it masticated enough to swallow.   I did find the claw meat to be rather tender and flaky, but as this represents about 10% of the overall meat, this was a big "miss" in my book.   In hind sight, I should have ordered the filet mignon (which was $20 cheaper).

Dessert:  Almond cheesecake was my choice, and it was about as exciting as its name.   Generic, predictable, and...well... Costco.

Service: 10

I wish I could remember our waiter's name so I could recommend that you ask for him, but I cannot.   I would have guessed from his accent and skin tone that he might be from Spain or Latin America, but he was actually from Germany.   He was so funny from start to finish, that I was less focused on the fact that my food was sub-par.   He was attentive, friendly, and would stop by just to chat before going on to other tables.   Drink refill rating: outstanding.   I wish more of the wait staff at WDW was so happy and proud as this gentlemen.   Needless to say, we left him a sizable tip.

Summary:

This may have been my only visit to Narcoossee's, at least for a while.  I was satisfied with the overall experience, but the price was not justifiable for the quality of food.   Although I am not a seafood lover, I know good seafood when I taste it, and this was not good seafood.    The location and service are at a much higher level than the food, and that is a shame.


No comments:

Post a Comment